I spent the morning making an Ogden cami again, but with much less desirable results. I’m feeling frumpy and grumpy about the whole thing. I did make the adjustment to make one size smaller, and yet somehow the top is too big and loose (Tabby:”Maybe next time you could work on making it so that when you bend over you don’t see everything.” Thanks, Tab.) Also the lining literally only comes to mid-breast. That can’t be right. So I’m left with something that seems ill fitting at best and inappropriate at worst. I’m wondering if there’s any way to fix this? I guess that’s my frustration with garment sewing: sometimes I feel pretty good at it, but when it doesn’t work I’m just stymied at how to get a better fit.
Things that did go well: I used a gauze fabric that I picked up a couple weeks ago, for the express purpose of trying out this type of fabric. I’ve seen ever so many people sewing tops and dresses in lovely chic gauze fabrics that I really wanted to try it out for myself. This isn’t the suggested ideal fabric for this top, but that actually doesn’t seem to be an issue-it’s a bit of a floaty design to start with (and on this 100 degree heat wave day, floaty tops seem ideal.) So, I do think the fabric is pretty and it was fairly easy to work with. And I did a good job of understitching the seam allowance to the lining. And I did finish my seams with zigzagging.
I had intended to widen the straps because good grief I don’t seem to have a bra that hides under this top well at all. But I forgot about that when I cut out the pattern piece to the exact size. I think I need to adjust the straps and make them shorter, as well. It won’t look as nice because it’s all sewed up and seams neatly hidden, but I think I’ll have to pick it out and then shorten the strap and top stitch it in (which will add to the home sewn look I’m trying to avoid.)
When I got to the hem I was afraid it would be too short if I folded over twice so I decided to use an old favorite trick here: rooting around in my drawers for vintage seam tape and sewing that on. The only old seam tape I could find was iron on. Generally I don’t like to use things like this where basically you’re gluing the seam down. Also, who knows how old this glue is and if it even still works? So I did iron it on, but then followed that with a stitched seam as well.
So overall, today’s sewing, while it allowed me to check off one of my projects..
…didn’t have the result I really wanted. I guess I need to figure out if this is something I can salvage or if I should just use my leftover fabric to make a different tank top. Either way, I’d better figure out this pattern a bit better before I cut into my fancy Rifle Paper Co. fabric. Perhaps part of my problem is when I sew I am very eager to get to the end. To admire the end result. To take a picture. Even to write this part! And I always always feel like I should be able to sew more quickly than I do. Perhaps if I just acknowledged up front that it can take a long time to even make a tank top, that would help.