I bought this stretchy knit on a whim when fabricbliss.com was going out of business. It said it was perfect for leggings and I thought how funky would Tabitha look in wacky sailor print leggings with a t-shirt? I finally got down to trying it tonight when I looked at the legging pattern in Ottobre and noted that the pants are made with a mere two pieces. I did not fool myself into thinking it would be easy because I do know my limitations. In fact, case in point–I had to stare at the two cut out pieces for a couple minutes before I realized how they were meant to go together (because Ottobre does not actually tell you that sort of thing.) I was very pleased with myself for actually finishing the seams, but the first huge error I made was apparently in tracing the pattern as when I folded over the legs they were not the same length. And now that I have hemmed them I see the legs are completely different lengths. But, I’m going to wait until tomorrow when I can try them on her and then see what length they ought to be.
The real challenge here (for me) was the elastic waist. I am fairly pleased with how it came out. My only disappointment is that I thought this fabric was a nicer knit than it really is. They feel more like pajama bottoms than the cute little spring pants I want them to be. No matter-she will wear them anyway! Up next-making pajama bottoms for Clark out of some lizard print flannel I bought on sale. Many thanks to Paul for making my sewing table more usable and inviting by installing a shelf over it tonight. Now that the surface is clean I hope to get around to doing the many projects on my list!
Update: And here it is the next morning and I have put the pants on Tabitha and think they are adorable. Yes, you can see the difference in the leg lengths, but she is active so I may not even adjust it to make them even. And I feel quite inspired to make her many more little leggings should I come across some cute knits.