Today I made my second ever garment out of a knit fabric. The first was leggings for Tabby when she was a baby. At the time I was so delighted I also bought some lovely white fabric with bright pink flowers on it. Unfortunately the site either did not state the scale, or I neglected to read it, because I was startled when my new fabric arrived to see that it had very large flowers completely inappropriate for a one year old’s small little legs. I resolved to make a top or skirt for myself, bought a pattern, and put it away for two years. Then yesterday for my mom’s birthday I took her to Pennington Quilt Works where we oohed and ahhed over fabric and I bought a little bit of apron fabric, as well as a lovely print to make a top for myself out of. It’s good to go into a real fabric store every now and then because it is so inspiring. I couldn’t wait to get home and whip up a top out of the new pink fabric. Alas, I did not buy enough. I can’t figure out why the pattern I want to use seems to need so much fabric (a sleeveless top), but it just would not work. In a funk and determined to do something I grabbed the knit pink flower stuff and figured if I messed it up I wouldn’t have lost anything but time.
This seemed huge when I was making it, but I think it fits ok. And also on the hangar I feel like it looks like something my grandmother would wear. Paul assures me that it looks nice on me and not grandmotherly.
Setting in the neckband was the most difficult part for me, but I think it turned out ok (although it is an awfully wide neckline.)