This project is going to take a little while, so I thought I’d do an update instead of waiting all the way until the end. I’m really delighted with how this is turning out! I couldn’t be more pleased with the jewel tone palette. (I also bought a new embroidery hoop, which is way better than the old one I’d been using.)
I’ve used anywhere from 1-6 strands of floss to vary dimension. I’ve used stem stitch, backstitch, and fly stitch (on the wings, to make some feathering.)
My mom showed me a couching stitch that I’ve been eager to try out and I used it on the breast of the bird. It gave just the right look of shading.
The beak is not as pointy as I’d intended, but I think I’m cool with it being like it is.
The little feet make it much more finished.
I may add more feather contrast (or not) and I may make a little design on some of the empty space on the bird (or not.)
There is one more bird to go and then any other finishing touches I want. I really like how this is coming out!