I woke up this morning thinking about my annual end of year post and thinking about the year in sewing. I realized I had one day left to finish off that Halloween quilt and count it done in 2015. All that’s been left to do for over a month has been the binding and label applique. A not too onerous task, and I meant to do it while watching Christmas shows, but somehow the month got away from me. I’m pleased to say I can now count it done!
//embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.jsThis Halloween quilt was made from a bundle of fabric I received last Christmas. It is Spooktacular by Maude Asbury. I love the shades of orange and the whimsical and clever illustrations. I wondered how best to preserve these prints and make something fun and lovely. I came up with the idea of squares pieced together to form a large overall jack o’lantern. Here’s the pattern I made for myself: //embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js
I drew a picture of a jack o’lantern on graph paper and got to calculating. The eyes were the most difficult to figure out and I did make an error. Stylistically I wished I had made them bigger (which, ironically, would have eliminated my calculations difficulties), but I didn’t have the spare fabric to redo this section. [This is the point where you give yourself a reality check, too. This wasn’t a wall hanging, intended to cuddle under during chilly Octobers. No one was going to nitpick over this on their lap.] I cut and sorted the fabrics into 3 1/2″ squares that were predominantly black or orange. The “orange” pieces do have black in them, and of course the overall design isn’t as easy to see as it would be if I was using solids, but I think you can see the design and I’m charmed by the prints.
//embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js I decided to frame it out with the grey corner pieces (like picture corners), and then a wide black border. A dark orange would be the binding. Both the binding and border fabrics were purchased after the center was pieced and are not from the Spooktacular collection. For the backing I ordered a couple yards of the grey spiderweb design from the collection. //embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.jsFor the machine quilting I opted to do concentric squares. And because I wanted to keep the stitching lines very geometric I did a sawtooth around the border (thanks to Mom for that inspiration because I couldn’t quite figure that idea out.) I used black thread on my spool so that you’d see the lines right across the squares of orange and black, //embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.jsbut put grey in the bobbin so you wouldn’t see the thread on the back. I was really pleased with how the quilting on the back looked-it enhanced the spiderweb design. Overall I am very pleased with how this turned out! I think it will be so much fun to put out in the fall. For my label on the back I embroidered on one of the bottles from the large print, cut it out, and appliqued it on.//embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.jsHappy Halloween! and, a Happy New Year to you! May your 2016 find you time to enjoy the creative and beautiful things in life. //embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js